Neurofeedback, also called neurotherapy or EEG Biofeedback, is a type of biofeedback that uses real-time displays of brain activity—most commonly electroencephalography, to teach self-regulation of brain function.
NeurOptimal® is an advanced neuro-technology that offers training to the brain, enabling it to function at its absolute best. This Neurofeedback tool has been called “the most effective bio-hack on the planet.” It provides your brain with real-time feedback, micro-second by micro-second, allowing it to re-organize itself. It’s much like holding up a mirror to your brain: the technology monitors your brain waves and then provides your central nervous system with this information, or “feedback”, about how it is behaving. When the software detects an inconsistency in the brain’s electrical activity, it informs the brain through an audible signal, encouraging the brain to re-ogranize and correct itself.
Before each session you will have a brief chat with Elinor who will track any changes you have noticed since the previous session. Then, sensors are applied to your scalp and ears (these will read your brain activity). This takes just a couple of minutes and you’re ready to begin. During the 33.5 minute session, you are sitting or lying back in a comfortable chair while you listen to beautiful music. While the music plays, you can watch a visual display, or just close your eyes and relax. Children may do tabletop activities, like art or reading, or they can watch a movie. You’ll hear brief pauses or skips in the music–this is the feedback signal, alerting your brain of the inconsistencies in its brain wave patterns.
There is no need for you to do anything. No need to focus on the pauses in the music. No need to try to push your brain one way or another. The feedback is informing the nervous system at an unconscious level, using its innate wisdom to reset itself and thus function more optimally.
Every brain is different and every training is unique, so it is impossible to know in advance how many sessions will be required to meet your wellness goals. However, many individuals notice significant improvement between 1-20 sessions. We strongly suggest that you commit to a minimum of 10 sessions.
For lasting changes or for clients with multiple issues or stressors, you’ll want to complete about 15-30 sessions. A consultation with Elinor about your goals will help determine how many sessions you’ll want to aim for. Many people who find success with NeurOptimal® choose to make the technology part of their life long-term. In these cases, renting or purchasing a home unit may be desirable. Elinor is happy to facilitate these options for you.
NeurOptimal® brain training is like riding a bike: once you know the training, your brain doesn’t “un-learn” it. That being said, it can be knocked off balance by stressors, hormones, environmental pollutants, etc. If this occurs, it’ll only take 1-2 sessions for your brain to get back on track. Because your brain remembers this brain training, you can come back to it years later – your brain will recognize it and fall back into healthy habits.
Neurofeedback training provides many benefits for the brain and body, including
- Increased neural plasticity, which helps reduce stress
- Improved sleep quality
- Heightened mental clarity
- Enhanced cognitive performance
- Helps unstick the brain patterns of the stress response, namely, anxiety and depression
- Anti-aging and brain fitness
- Promotes peak physical and mental performance
NeurOptimal® is different from other Biofeedback EEG Systems, and what really sets it apart is that it was created with a fundamentally different viewpoint from other systems.
It is superior because:
- It is incredibly user-friendly, with no complicated set-up or expertise required to run it. This makes each session quick, relaxing, and easy.
- It’s designed to work with your individual brain, and its goal is to optimize overall brain function. It does not target or try to “fix” specific symptoms or issues. Although NeurOptimal® doesn’t treat specific conditions, these symptoms are alleviated because it works to improve the central nervous system’s overall functioning.
- It is completely non-invasive: no electricity, vibration, or other external signal goes into your brain. Additionally, because it doesn’t target specific areas of the brain or push the brain in any specific direction, there are no unwanted side effects.
- It is 100% natural and safe. Because your brain ultimately knows best what works for it and your body, NeurOptimal® simply gives it the information it needs to correct and optimize itself. You will not “overtrain” or overwork your brain, and you will not create unwanted states.
Anyone can benefit from Neurofeedback training. It’s like a workout for your brain. Neurofeedback helps people train their brains to function optimally, improving concentration, memory, anxiety, and mood.
Neurofeedback can help alleviate symptoms related to various conditions, including:
- ADHD and ADD
- Anxiety and depression
- Brain trauma
- PTSD and trauma
- Insomnia and sleep issues
On the other hand, some people seek out Neurofeedback training to maximize their peak performance, such as:
Before your first session, you will be asked to complete a symptom checklist so that we can have a self-reported baseline of your symptoms. We then re-administer this assessment after every 10 sessions and compare pre and post data. We also provide the option of a QEEG brain map, which uses another EEG device to get a visual snapshot of the activity in the brain. This is a voluntary option for those who would like to track the changes at this level and is offered before and after 10 or 20 sessions for a visual comparison of changes.
Something important to keep in mind however is that the assessments or any diagnosis you may have does not change the way the training is performed. The NeurOptimal® system always meets your brain exactly where it is, moment by moment, and simply gives the nervous system information about what it is doing.